This week I am preaching on Psalm 8, which raises the question of “Why does the God of creation care about puny, little humans?” So, it seems fitting to begin my message with some of life’s unanswered questions. Here are a few I may use, as well as a Baby Blues cartoon on the subject.
1. Why is vanilla ice cream white, when vanilla extract is brown?
2. If laughter is the best medicine, who’s the idiot who said they ‘died laughing’?
3. Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?
4. What do Greeks say when they don’t understand something?
5. Why does a round pizza come in a square box?
6. Why do superheroes wear their underwear on the outside of their clothes?
7. Why don’t woodpeckers get headaches when they slam their head on a tree all day?
8. Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?
9. Why do croutons come in airtight packages? It’s just stale bread.
10. Why do we buy hot dogs in packages of ten and buns in packages of eight?
11. Why is there an expiration date on sour cream?
12. Why is it that when the batteries in your remote control wear out you just push the buttons harder?
13. Why do they use artificial lemon juice in bottled lemon juice and use real lemon juice in dish soap?
14. Why don’t they make the entire airplane out of the same material that the indestructible black box is made of?
15. Why do people have worthless junk in the garage and leave their expensive car in the driveway?
16. Why do tourists go to the tops of tall buildings and then put money into telescopes so they can see things on the ground close-up?
17. Why do people sing “Take me out to the ball game” when they are already there?
18. Why does Mickey Mouse wear pants and no shirt while Donald Duck wears a shirt and no pants?