My mind is filled with questions these days. Some are asked by other people, some I ask myself. Some come from firsthand experience, some from observing others. Some are life altering issues, others are trivial and lightweight. Some are hair-raising, others are hair-pulling. What ties them all together is my inability to decide how to respond. I have a hard time just understanding the question, let alone choosing an appropriate answer.
1. Why do people sleep when I preach?
- They work nights, and are normally in bed at this time
- They have health/age issues which make them susceptible to dozing off
- The room is too warm
- They work so hard during the week that when they stop and sit, they doze off
- They are apathetic about God and spiritual things
- Spiritual warfare is at work; it’s a battle
- The preacher (me) is boring
2. How should I react/respond when someone criticizes a program or activity held at church?
- The complaint is legitimate
- The complaint smacks of legalism
- This is a weaker brother/sister we should accommodate
- This is a legalist we should confront
- Don’t worry about it; some people are merely cranky and never satisfied
3. How should I respond when given the opportunity to minister in another church or country?
- Consider the opportunity
- See it as God’s direction and leading
- Treat it as a distraction and ignore it
4. Why is my hair falling out? & What do I do about it?
- It’s an auto-immune reaction to an illness
- It’s a reaction to stress
- All of the above
- Quit my job and move to Tahiti
- Find a stress free life (yeah, right)
- See a doctor
- Live with it
- Wonder if I will have any left
- Shave my head
- Memorize 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
5. Observations about how churches conduct a search for a new pastor
- Why does each church do it differently?
- Why don’t churches communicate with prospective candidates?
- Why does it take so long?
- Considering how search committees operate, why is the church still in business?
6. Questions about churches
- Why do people/churches constantly drift towards comfort and complacency?
- Why does one ministry or program work in one church but not another?
- Why can your efforts and prayers be consistent, and yet your fruit and results vary from day to day?
- How can you do a “soil analysis” of your church or ministry context?
7. Me, Me, Me!
- Will my balance ever return to normal?
- Why is Scripture memory so hard?
- Will I ever dunk a basketball?
- How can my prayers be more effective?
- How can I encourage my wife and children?
- How can I be more effective in preaching? leading? equipping?
- How can I accomplish God’s purpose in my generation (Acts 13:36)?
After all that thinking, it’s time for a nap.