I am teaching a group of your families on Sunday morning at First Central Baptist Church in Chicopee, MA, during our Sunday School hour. Yesterday, we discussed the topic of parenting with purpose. How can we be intentional about the values and character qualities we impart to our children?
Here’s a copy of the handout I gave them. Click on the link to download the notes as a pdf file.
Complete the statement:
My children will be successful if …
I will be successful as a parent if …
Read Psalm 127 (The Message)
If God doesn’t build the house, the builders only build shacks. If God doesn’t guard the city, the night watchman might as well nap. It’s useless to rise early and go to bed late, and work your worried fingers to the bone. Don’t you know he enjoys giving rest to those he loves?
Don’t you see that children are God’s best gift? the fruit of the womb his generous legacy? Like a warrior’s fistful of arrows are the children of a vigorous youth. Oh, how blessed are you parents, with your quivers full of children! Your enemies don’t stand a chance against you; you’ll sweep them right off your doorstep.
Using the imagery of Psalm 127, think about the idea of parenting as launching an arrow towards a target.
- Archer – father, mother, grandparent
- Arrow – child
- Feathers on arrow – family values guide their flight; character qualities stabilize them
- Wind currents – culture, peers, education, etc.
- Release – launch into adulthood
- Target – goals, dreams, impact for Jesus Christ
In order to have the greatest impact,
- We need to be intentional in our parenting
- We have to determine the target–Family values; Character qualities
What are your family values?
What qualities do you want to develop in your kids?
To help stimulate the discussion, I gave them a copy of our family values we developed back in 2006 as well as the list of things I pray for my children and their fiancés and boyfriends today.
Wheeler Family Values
- Honesty – Tell the truth and be honest with each other at all times.
- Loyalty – We will be loyal to one another and protect each other.
- Communication – Relationships are built on open, honest communication with each other.
- Learning & growth – We will look for opportunities to learn, grow, and stretch each other.
- God’s principles are best – God will always be wiser than we are. We must study the Scriptures to find his direction for our lives.
- Family time together – We will make it a priority to spend time together as a family.
- Love God & others – We will actively practice the Great Commandment by loving God and putting others first.
- Fun – Have fun together. Enjoy one another’s company.
- Respect – Respect for each other as individuals and each one’s possessions.
- Service – We will look for opportunities to serve together.
- Gratitude – We will demonstrate an attitude of thankfulness for each other’s efforts.
Things I pray for on behalf of my children
|Jonathan, Amanda & Phillip, Caitlin & Andrew|
|Health & protection||o||o||o||o||o||o|
|Future – careers||o||o||o||o||o||o|
|Future – spouses||o||o||o||o||o||o|
|Good relationships with family||o||o||o||o||o||o|
|Diligence – work hard||o||o||o||o||o||o|
|Wisdom & discernment||o||o||o||o||o||o|
|Discover spiritual gift||o||o||o||o||o||o|
|Honesty & Integrity||o||o||o||o||o||o|
|Be on your guard||o||o||o||o||o||o|
|Stand firm in your faith||o||o||o||o||o||o|
|Be men of courage||o||o||o||o||o||o|
|Do everything in love||o||o||o||o||o||o|
|Understand who they are||o||o||o||o||o||o|
|Grow stronger spiritually||o||o||o||o||o||o|
|Grow more mature||o||o||o||o||o||o|
|Knowledge of God’s will||o||o||o||o||o||o|