Book Review: More: Find your personal calling and live life to the fullest measure, by Todd Wilson
Do you know why God left you on planet Earth? Do you know how he has uniquely wired and gifted you? Do you know how to use your gifts and abilities to have the greatest impact? Would you like to be able to say “Yes!” to each of these questions?
More: Find your personal calling and live life to the fullest measure, by Todd Wilson is designed to help the reader embark on a journey of discovering your unique personal calling. The author tries to help his readers answer three basic questions of life: (1) Who am I created to be? (2) What am I created to do? and (3) Where am I best positioned to do it?
Whereas most books of this nature jump into assessment tools—spiritual gifts, abilities, personality, leadership style—the author takes the time to lay out a foundation on which he will build his argument. The thesis of the book is based on two key verses. Jesus came to give us abundant life (John 10:10), and he has created each of us to accomplish good works (Ephesians 2:10).
The author then explains the basic formula for discovering one’s purpose. It follows a BE-DO-GO formula. As Todd explains, each of us has a core purpose. We are to be disciples who make disciples wherever we are. We then have a secondary purpose that is tied to our unique gifts, abilities, passion, and personality. He references a number of assessment tools and websites that the reader can use to identify the unique characteristics of his/her life.
In the final chapter, the author lists “The Ten Truths of Calling” which all of us should embrace regardless of who we are:
- Trust deeply in the author of our story.
- Step forward in faith, even when we cannot see clearly.
- Abandon the earthbound kingdom of me in order to gladly serve in the eternal kingdom of God.
- Submit to the lordship of Jesus.
- Embrace our mission to carry the fullness of Jesus to every corner of society.
- Live in common with a healthy, local community of faith.
- Take personal responsibility of the unique role Jesus gives us.
- Trust the guidance and power of the Holy Spirit.
- Be disciples of Jesus who make disciples where we are.
- Fulfill our unique personal calling to play our role in God’s mission where we can be most effective.
I found the book to be very helpful and encouraging. It would be a good resource for a recent graduate, someone heading into mid-life, or anyone wanting to determine if there is more to life than what they are currently experiencing.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.