Ed Stetzer has written an insightful, thought provoking article entitled, “3 Things Churches Love That Kill Outreach.” The short version is that too many churches love: (1) past culture more than their current context; (2) their comfort more than their mission; and (3) their traditions more than their children.
Stetzer concludes his article by encouraging churches to perform some loving evaluation. We need to ask ourselves the hard but needed questions.
- Who are we reaching?
- Are we primarily reaching people who are like us?
- Are we primarily reaching people who are already believers?
- Are we primarily reaching people who understand Christian subculture and taboos?
- What about the people who don’t have a church background?
- What about the people who are unfamiliar with Christian beliefs?
- What about the people who don’t understand church subculture and behavioral taboos?
To say we are unable to reach the lost because of our traditions or preferences is simply unacceptable and antithetical to the mission of God.