What’s a vacation without eating favorite comfort foods and trying new treats? On our recent vacation in North Carolina, we did our share of both.
- Schlotzsky’s – Sandwich shop known for their round sourdough buns. The chain was started in Austin, TX, and we got hooked on them when we lived in Dalls.
- Bob Evans – A mid-western family restaurant. Great place for breakfast.
- P F Changs – Probably our favorite Chinese restaurant.
- TCBY – (The Country’s Best Yogurt). I don’t think we’ve seen TCBY since we left Dallas. They still have White Chocolate Mousse. Good stuff.
- Fuddruckers – Great place for burgers.
- Black Mountain Bistro in Black Mountain, NC (outside Asheville). Service was very slow but the food was good and atmosphere was great sitting on the patio in the evening.
- Bennett’s Pit Bar-B-Que in Gatlinburg, TN. We enjoyed some very good pulled brisket sandwiches.
- 12 Bones in Asheville, NC. A hole-in-the-wall restaurant in a light industrial section. Well worth the drive for very good barbecue. We were there at lunch and the lines were long and the place was packed.
- Waffle House – A southern institution. The food is decent, the price is reasonable, but you go for the atmosphere of a small diner.