One of the goals in our 2020 vision for First Central Bible Church is to raise up our own staff. Another goal is to send out missionaries from our own church. We have the unique opportunity to accomplish both goals in one family.
In the Fall of 2014, we received a special gift of $248K to use for “Kingdom Impact.” We saw it as a unique opportunity to invest in our own people and pursue our 2020 vision. We added Chris Ames and Jack Gilbert as interns, Robin Dolbow as Director of Children’s Ministry, and helped Dave Krok with tuition as he pursues ministry education.
As Jack Gilbert nears the completion of his seminary education in May 2017, the elders want to move him to the next level of experience. For the past year and a half, Jack served as a 10 hour per week intern. From January to June 2017, we will increase his hours to 24 hours per week. He will continue to preach on occasion and teach the Sojourners on a monthly basis. Jack will attend the elders’ meetings as a non-voting observer to learn more about leadership and teamwork. Jack and Simcha will participate in the monthly elders’ & wives’ Bible study. Jack will graduate from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary in May 2017 and prepare for his ordination in June 2017.
Jack and Simcha feel that God is leading them towards missionary service. They are beginning the process of applying to serve with SEND International in Spain. The application and fundraising process will last approximately two years.
In order to help Jack prepare for missionary service and to take advantage of his gifts and abilities while he is still here, the elders want to bring Jack on staff in a temporary, two-year position as a Minister of Adults & Outreach. The full-time position would begin in July 2017. You can read the details in the proposed job description below.
The salary and benefits for this position will come out of the special Kingdom Impact gift and will not affect the General Fund budget.
Job Title: Minister of Adults and Outreach (full-time, Jack Gilbert)
This position is designed to be a temporary (2-year maximum) position as Jack & Simcha Gilbert prepare to go to the missions’ field. The position will be reevaluated on an annual basis and as Jack & Simcha sense a change in their call to a specific type of field of ministry.
The Minister of Adults and Outreach will serve the church by helping our fellowship achieve our purpose of Building a Community to Change the World.
- Ensure that the Adult Sunday School classes and Small Groups are taught, led, and shepherded by trained, equipped teachers and leaders.
- Provide administrative oversight of all adult ministries, including management of budget and setting policies.
- Ensure that all adults are trained and equipped to confidently share their faith.
- Develop and oversee a path of discipleship that moves an individual from first-time guest to fully serving member.
- Participate in the visitation of the sick, widows, and the elderly as needed.
- Be available to assist in weddings and funerals as needed.
- Be available to preach on occasion.
- Other duties as assigned.
- He shall be accountable to the Senior Pastor. This accountability is maintained through regular personal consultations with the Senior Pastor and through staff meetings.
- Board Relationships
- He shall attend meetings of the Council of Elders, Christian Education Board, and Board of Missions as needed.
- Staff Relationship
- He shall attend all staff meetings and functions.
- He shall oversee the work of any interns in his area.
- The Minister of Adults and Outreach must meet the qualifications of an elder as outlined in Scripture (1 Timothy 3, Titus 1).
- He must be gifted as a Pastor-Teacher (Ephesians 4:11-16).
- He shall have a demonstrated maturity in leadership and decision-making.
- He shall demonstrate a commitment to the doctrinal statement and to the statement of strategy and vision of First Central Bible Church.
- He shall have experience in and zeal for the work of pastoral ministry.
- He should have a heart for and/or be gifted in evangelism.
- He shall have an ability to work on a team towards specific goals in a mutually edifying and supportive manner.
- He shall be ordained or in the process of pursuing ordination.
- He shall have a teachable and open attitude.
The Senior Pastor has the responsibility for the initiation and update of this job description; and with the approval of the Elder Council the Senior Pastor has the responsibility for its implementation.
Standards of Performance
The Minister of Adults and Outreach will have done his job if:
- The adult leaders are trained and equipped to teach and shepherd their classes and small groups.
- Opportunities are provided for vital, supportive, biblical fellowship where relationships are built in an atmosphere of warmth and caring.
- Opportunities are provided for outreach into the local culture in service and evangelism.
- He has regular contact with the leaders of the various ministries of the church.
- He is using all of his spiritual gifts.