Book Review: Answering the Toughest Questions about Heaven and Hell, by Bruce Bickel & Stan Jantz
What happens when we die? Are heaven and hell real places? If God is loving, how could he send anyone to hell? Have you ever wrestled with questions like these? Have you ever wondered where to find the answers to these and other questions about the afterlife?
Authors Bruce Bickel and Stan Jantz encourage their readers to ask tough questions and wrestle with doubts. In this volume, Answering the Toughest Questions about Heaven and Hell, they asked the young adults from St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in Newport Beach, CA, to articulate their most important questions about heaven and hell. They then grouped the questions into broad categories which provided the ten chapters and four appendices for this book.
- Is there an afterlife?
- What happens when you die?
- Are heaven and hell for real?
- Can I believe what the Bible says about the end of the world?
- Do all roads lead to heaven?
- If God is loving, how could he send anyone to hell?
- Is hell a divine torture chamber?
- How do you get into heaven?
- What will heaven be like?
- How can I be sure about heaven?
- Will there be animals in heaven?
- Can my loved ones in heaven see me?
- Will there be rewards in heaven?
- Are near-death experiences for real?
In answering the questions, the authors combine humor, illustrations, real-life stories, and philosophical arguments. After exploring the questions from various angles, they always ask, “What does the Bible say about this question?” The result is a practical, helpful, biblical exploration of some very real questions.
Disclosure: I received this book free from Bethany House through the Bethany House Blogger Review Program http://bakerpublishinggroup.com/bethanyhouse/bookreviewers. The opinions I have expressed are my own, and I was not required to write a positive review.