On Friday afternoon, we convened an ordination council at First Central Bible Church to examine Jack Gilbert, our church’s intern. We wanted to affirm God’s hand on his life and make sure he held to sound doctrine.
The ordination council consisted of:
- Mark Wheeler, Senior Pastor at First Central Bible Church, Chicopee, MA
- Stan Kulig, Joe Martin, Doug McVeigh, Doug Dolbow, Elders at First Central Bible Church
- Brent Allen, District Executive Minister for Converge Northeast
- Rich Ainsworth, retired Senior Pastor of Wintonbury Church in Bloomfield, CT
- Jeff Chandler, Senior Pastor of Cottage Hill Church in Springfield, MA
The basis for the exam was an ordination paper that Jack wrote and presented to the council last month. Based on his paper, we asked him the following questions:
- Why do you want to be ordained?
- How does Simcha (Jack’s wife) feel about this process?
- Where are you in process of applying to SEND International?
- What will be your role with SEND in Spain?
- Why don’t we consider the Apocrypha books to be inspired?
- What principles do you use in interpreting Scripture?
- What Scripture translation do you use in preaching?
- What does “aseity” mean in relation to God?
- What does it mean that God repented and changed his mind considering that Scripture says God does not change?
- How do you reconcile all of God’s attributes with his love?
- How long did it take for God to create the world?
- How do you explain and/or balance Gods providence?
- Does Christ have a physical body in heaven? What difference does it make?
- What does it mean in Philippians 2 that Christ emptied himself?
- How can Jesus identify with us?
- Could Jesus sin?
- Was his temptation in Gethsemane real?
- What does it mean that Jesus became sin?
- How is the baptism of the Spirit different from the filling of the Spirit? Why is it not a second baptism?
- Does the gift of prophecy exist today?
- What does it mean that we are created in God’s image?
- What is the extent of the atonement? For whom did Christ die?
- How do you balance God’s sovereignty with man’s free will?
- How are regeneration and conversion related?
- Does being “drawn by the Father” refer to conviction?
- What elements of Calvinism do you disagree with?
- If you were to plant a church, what form of church government would you institute?
- What is the difference between a small group and a church?
- Can women serve as elders?
- What does it mean that baptism is an appeal to a good conscience?
- Would you baptize children?
- Can a Christian be possessed by a demon? What does it mean when Ananias (Acts 5) is filled with Satan?
- Can a person say, “the devil made me do it?”
- How would you work with others who hold a different conviction about the timing of the rapture?
- Is hell real? Eternal?
- Where do children go when they die? How would you counsel a young couple who lose a child?
- How do you decided what churches or denominations to work with?
- What is a shepherd? What does a shepherd do?
Throughout the exam, which lasted just under 3 hours, Jack demonstrated a command of the Scriptures and a commitment to sound doctrine. He passed the exam with flying colors. The members of the ordination council affirmed his call, character, understanding of Scripture and theology, and his clear communication. It was a very affirming and encouraging time.
On Sunday, June 11, we will hold a special evening service at 5PM to formally ordain Jack to the ministry of the gospel.
Congratulations, Jack! Keep up the good work.