Category Archives: Food
In-N-Out Burger is a cult favorite for those who hail from the southwest. For those who live in various parts of the USA, going to In-N-Out for lunch is often the FIRST stop in a visit to SoCal, NV, or AZ. Carol and I made our pilgrimage and had more meals at In-N-Out than we should have on our recent trip to SoCal. We even visited their corporate store to pick up some souvenirs.
One reason it is beloved is because it only does one thing–burgers and fries–for an affordable price. Many are surprised to see Scripture verses on the bottom of some of their packaging. In an article in the Christian Post, owner Lynsi Snyder, shares her Christian testimony and the origin of the verses on the packaging. Read the article, In-N-Out Burger owner Lynsi Snyder on spiritual warfare, desire to be ‘plugged in’ to God’s plan, to learn more.
On Saturday, Carol and I drove north a couple hours to Norwich, VT, to the home of King Arthur Flour for their Fall Festival. Owls, food samples, cooking displays–apple pie, entertainment, shopping, and good food. Fun place to visit.
What’s a vacation without eating favorite comfort foods and trying new treats? On our recent vacation in North Carolina, we did our share of both.
- Schlotzsky’s – Sandwich shop known for their round sourdough buns. The chain was started in Austin, TX, and we got hooked on them when we lived in Dalls.
- Bob Evans – A mid-western family restaurant. Great place for breakfast.
- P F Changs – Probably our favorite Chinese restaurant.
- TCBY – (The Country’s Best Yogurt). I don’t think we’ve seen TCBY since we left Dallas. They still have White Chocolate Mousse. Good stuff.
- Fuddruckers – Great place for burgers.
- Black Mountain Bistro in Black Mountain, NC (outside Asheville). Service was very slow but the food was good and atmosphere was great sitting on the patio in the evening.
- Bennett’s Pit Bar-B-Que in Gatlinburg, TN. We enjoyed some very good pulled brisket sandwiches.
- 12 Bones in Asheville, NC. A hole-in-the-wall restaurant in a light industrial section. Well worth the drive for very good barbecue. We were there at lunch and the lines were long and the place was packed.
- Waffle House – A southern institution. The food is decent, the price is reasonable, but you go for the atmosphere of a small diner.